When it comes to exercising some say that the hardest step is the first one, but personally we think it’s really a state of mind. It’s about taking baby steps in introducing ways to include exercise as part of normal day to day routine.
In our travels, we come across many people who seem to struggle on ideas to increase regular daily exercise. Here are just a couple of ideas on how you can start. By the way, if you have suggestions you would like to share with us we would love to hear from you!
Taking the first step is as simple as walking. Why? Because it’s safe, easy and it works!
Walking for as little as 30 minutes a day provides heart health benefits and is the most effective way to achieve heart health.
The most popular way to start is simply finding opportunities to walk more. If you lead a sedentary lifestyle, this is even more important.
Make the following activities part of your daily discipline as you work towards a more happier and healthier you and we guarantee you will love the results!
Keep in mind that walking isn’t your only option. Try these tips for increasing physical activity wherever you are. You may be surprised at just how many opportunities there really are!
Increase physical activities at Home:
- Use a skipping rope and skip in 2 min spurts, take a 30sec break and repeat 5 times
- Use a hula hoop and practice until you can continuously use the hoop for up to 10 minutes
- If you have steps at home, use them to flex and extend your calf muscle before and after exercise
- Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
- Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
- When walking, pick up the pace from leisurely to brisk. Choose a hilly route. When watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa. Or stretch. Better yet, spend a few minutes pedalling on your stationary bicycle while watching TV. Throw away your video remote control. Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
- Stand up while talking on the telephone.
- Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.
- Keep exercise equipment repaired and use it!
- Walk the dog.
- Take the kids to the park and kick a ball around or play tag (this is great at getting your heart up not to mention Vitamin D which is good for our bones!
- Gardening or mowing the lawn
- Vacuuming or cleaning the floors
- General Cleaning, Spring Cleaning and Window Cleaning is great too, just add a magic formula (music) and you will enjoy it even more!
- Learn a new activity – Dancing! It encourages physical movement to the rhythm of music. Yoga teaches you to breathe through exercise not to mention taking away stresses of day to day life. Pilates is fantastic on increasing core strength whilst stretching and extending your body to loosen up any tension in your body.
Increase physical activities at Work:
- Brainstorm project ideas with a work colleague while taking a walk.
- Walk during business calls when you don't need to reference important documents.
- Stand while talking on the telephone.
- Walk down the hall to speak with someone rather than using the telephone.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Or get off a few floors early and take the stairs the rest of the way.
- Stay at hotels with fitness centres or swimming pools and use them while on business trips.
- Take along a jump rope or a resistance band in your suitcase when you travel. Skip or do calisthenics in your hotel room.
- Participate in or start a recreation league at your company.
- Form a sports team to raise money for charity events.
- Join a fitness centre or YMCA near your job. Workout before or after work to avoid rush-hour traffic, or drop by for an afternoon workout (if permissible).
- Hint! Schedule exercise time on your business calendar and treat it as any other important appointment.
- Get off the bus a few blocks early and walk the rest of the way to work or home.
- Walk around your building for a break during the work day or during lunch.
- Some have mastered the art of typing while on a treadmill by securing the laptop to the base. Be creative!
- Get a stand-up desk.
- Drink a minimum of 2 litres of water a day, but use a 500ml or smaller sized bottle so it encourages you to get up more often to get more water. Drinking more water for some means heading to the rest room more often, but that’s ok, you’ve now found another reason to get up and go for another walk .
- Plan family outings and holidays that include physical activity (hiking, backpacking, swimming, etc.)
- See the sights in new cities by walking, jogging or bicycling.
- Make a date with a friend to enjoy your favourite physical activities. Do them regularly.
- Play your favourite music while exercising; enjoy something that motivates you.
- Dance with someone or by yourself. Take dancing lessons. Hit the dance floor on fast numbers instead of slow ones.
- Join a recreational club that emphasizes physical activity.
- At the beach, sit and watch the waves instead of lying flat. Better yet, get up and walk, run or fly a kite.
- When golfing, walk instead of using a cart.
- Play singles tennis or racquetball instead of doubles.
- At a picnic, join in and kick a ball around.
- At the lake, rent a rowboat instead of a canoe.
Increase physical activities during Leisure Time:
So what are you waiting for? Now you know all of these incredible benefits of working out and getting fit, it’s time to start reaping the benefits!
Remember, exercise is different for everyone. The easiest way to incorporate more physical activity into your daily life is to find what works for you. It might be walking or running or it might be hitting the gym or taking a Zumba class.
It doesn’t matter what you do but how often you do it – start adding more physical activity into your daily life and you’ll quickly notice the difference.
But it’s not all about exercise, it’s important that you eat healthy too! In our next blog post, we’ll be talking about Ways to Make Your Workouts More Fun as well as giving you some more handy tips for living a healthy lifestyle. Don’t forget! All Kuranda Wholefoods Products have been created with nutrition in mind, making them the perfect healthy and nutrient filled addition to your daily diet.